Friday, September 22, 2006

Alternative to dryer sheets...

Okay, this may seem a bit odd, but for anyone out there who wants to use anti-static dryer sheets but has family members with sensory issues or just doesn't like the expense & waste (both conditions are true for my family)... then I have found a really good alternative :) I found these dryer balls on the Gaiam web site, where I buy my toilet paper & other "green" products. I thought, "what the heck" & gave 'em a try. And they really work! Gaiam sells them for $18 & they have a 2-year guarantee (see the dryer balls site for more info). I was ready to give the dryer sheets up entirely after B was born (I certainly didn't use them when he was a baby, even the non-scented ones) but my husband finds the sensation of his socks clinging to his trousers uncomfortable :) so I started using the scent-free ones when B was older. With B's sensitivity to strong, perfumy smells the scented ones were never an option... plus, I use lavender scented laundry soap as aromatherapy for him, so it'd be silly to cover up that nice scent. I am really pleased with this alternative to dryer sheets. Be aware, they're a bit noisy at first (when the laundry is still really wet) bouncing around in the dryer, but get quieter very rapidly. So, there's the Worksop hint of the day... :)

7 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Sol Hydro said...

I'm so pleased that I came across your blog. I have been wondering if these balls work. Thanks for the review!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Larry Arnold PhD FRSA said...

I simply do not understand what you are talking about nor would most of the world who is not adding to global warming at the rate that the USA is.

Some of us don't have tumble dryers nor want them.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger janncwebb said...

What a tacky comment. It does not dawn on most Americans that there is an alternative to tumble dryers. We don't even live in a place where we could hang clothes to dry naturally. So, we're doing the best we can to reduce electricity and not use chemicals that are harmful to the environment. Know a little more about a culture before you are so judgemental!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Joyce said...

Could you answer a question for me, please? I'm looking for something that reduces static, too, and I'm *assuming* that that's what these do, but do they really? Dryer sheets *kill* my sinuses - even the alleged "unscented" ones, but my DH needs something for his poor work shirts.
Thanks!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger whereisluisanow? said...

I had high hopes for these dryer balls. But most of them are made from PVC, which is the most harmful plastic of all. Not only is it likely bad to use these dryer balls in your laundry, their manufacturing causes all sorts of pollution issues.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try these:

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/
products/Hand_Maid_XStatic_Dryer_Gloves.html

I'm going to order some. My MIL has the dryer balls, but I get annoyed by them falling on the floor constantly when you take the clothes out. 2 gloves bouncing around is quieter and less of a hassle. (Yes, these gloves stay in the dryer like the balls - nifty!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits