Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"Russian Tea": a warm winter drink...

I first encountered "Russian Tea" in the early 70's when I was in high school. I went to an alternative school, so things were very relaxed & it was common to start classes with a cup of tea & a chat with the teacher or friends. Although I do remember drinking this tea in Russian class, I can't imagine it's really of Russian origin, considering the ingredients. It's an easy mix to put together & the flavours can be played-with & fine-tuned to individual tastes or dietary needs. It's a really good alternative to cocoa, too, & requires only hot (not necessarily boiling) water to bring it to life :)

Russian Tea:

2 cups of Tang (instant orange juice mix)

1 envelope of unsweetened KoolAid or lemonade (optional)

1/2 cup of sugar (Splenda?)

1/2 cup of unsweetened, instant tea (decaf works, if you can find it)

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp each of cloves & nutmeg (allspice works well, too)

Mix together & store in airtight jar (it's pretty hydrophilic, so will harden-up if kept for a long time)

Use 1 heaping tbsp per cup of hot water (to taste) & mix well.

Enjoy!!

4 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I remember that stuff. I never heard of adding spices other than cinnamon and I never heard of adding Koolaid, but I'm sure it's good that way, too.

We called it "Russian Tea," too. Do they still make Tang even? It seems so dated, moon shots and so forth.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Maddy said...

Now that sounds like my kind of school!
Cheers

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm...sounds good. I have never had it before. Found your blog this morning from the autism hub list. I would love to add you to my links. You have some really good ideas here!

www.theautismexpress.com

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Alice said...

I know about russian tea! I went to Grand Forks N.D. High. It was the craze then!Long time ago, brings back memories.
thanks,
Alice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits